Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The Great Cosplay Build

Hello again! It's been awhile since I've posted. Work has kept me busy for the last month or two, but it's been good to get back into the world of 40k. I was a little tuckered out from all the painting, so the sabbatical was good for me. I have since started on my most ambitious project ever, a cosplay build for a contest from Eternal Crusade.






Humble beginnings

The official rules and contest guidelines can be found here. I won't bother explaining them again as I am busy working on the cosplay as I speak. I've added on two pieces just this morning.

My plan is so ambitious because my goal is to build an 8 foot tall Space Marine. I've never attempted such a build, and I've already learned so much! A decent amount of life size Space Marines are out there, and I've perused the internet and gotten lots of good ideas and build plans.


I am under a time crunch because the deadline for the picture to be uploaded is April 20, less than a month away. As you can see I have lot of the suit left to build. Also need to construct the stilts, figure out what in the world I will do for gauntlets and get the power generator constructed. Once all the forms are built out of cardstock I have to coat the inside and outside with epoxy resin, then I will probably use fiberglass matting after that unless I deem the resin to be strong enough on its own. Time constraints will also dictate what I do.
I have absolutely enjoyed this build so far. It's so much fun to challenge myself and see what I can do. My goal is to get the torso done today, I worked about 7 hours yesterday (I'm on spring break, so yes instead of girls I have cardstock and superglue, but the emperor demands sacrifice) and today I should be able to at least get the torso almost across the line.

If you are interested in doing a similar build, don't hesitate to contact me! Doing cosplay is so much fun, and with patience, effort, and dedication you can have your own suit of real life power armour.

Neck collar completed
The contest idea is great from Eternal Crusade, and I'm really looking forward to the game release. Eternal Crusade by all appearances will be the 40k game we need and deserve.

Follow me as a build my first suit of power armour!
Front of the torso coming together