Tuesday, December 9, 2014

WIP Space Marine Librarian

Definitely needs a lot more work with the blue but a good start.
The first three days of work on the Librarian has passed, and I am glad to showcase the progress so far. I have completely finished the first coat of Macragge Blue, leaving only the detail work and a probable second coat/wash/touchup. I need to go back and hit some spots that I missed or the white is showing through. After that I will do a dark wash, and then I might try cleaning up the model a bit with some lighter blue, which would be an experiment for me. Possibly a mix of Macragge Blue and Altdorf Guard Blue followed by straight Altdorf Guard Blue. Here's a picture of all the progress so far.





Leg webbing painted black and left shoulder painted blue
Once I primed the model with a skull white spray (that article is here), I painted some of the webbing black. I still have a little left to do, but I got most of the easiest to reach places. I then started with the Macragge Blue.

Having painted so much red in my gaming career, blue was a welcome break. The going was slow as the libby has a tremendous amount of detail.

Working around the Crux Terminatus wasn't too bad, and I think it will look good once it's painted.




The helmet area took some time
The most tedious part was painting areas around the robe. I know I'll probably get robe colored paint on the blue, so it's a balancing act in terms of what I paint first and last.

I am having some difficultly deciding what color to use on the robe. I am thinking about doing the same color process I used on the purity seals, but I don't want the libby to look like he is a walking purity seal. I also thought about leaving the robe white and just highlighting with a good wash, probably a darker one at that.

I have been using Gehenna's Gold for my Genesis Marines, which works better with darker colors, but I could also use Auric Armour Gold which might look better with the blue.

I finished up the remainder of the blue last night, as you can see in the rest of this pictures.
Back vents need some touch up

Tonight I'll hopefully get a good jump on the touchup and detail work. Thanks for reading and don't forget to like my Facebook page and check out the FTGT Budget Challenge!

Building Genesis on Facebook
FTGT Budget Challenge 
Just have to paint the foot 
View from the back, all completed

I'm leaving his right arm off until everything is painted